Last week I was on a bit of a soup roll. I made 2 soups, this one included and planned some others to be made in the pipeline over the next few weeks too. With that I went to TK Maxx and went a little wild on soup containers, in blue obviously for Sam in mind.
I made this soup because it’s yummy, warming, hearty and super easy to make and nothing beats a warming bowl of soup on a cold winters day.
- Serves 6
- Skill level: Super easy, you could do it with your eyes closed, although not recommended
- Pan or wok
What you need:
- 5-6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Olive oil – I use Rice Bran oil in everything I cook for its health benefits but you can use any oil
- 1 pack of bacon, I used smoked, but you can use unsmoked if you prefer
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- paprika (how much you add is based entirely on your preference)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 litre stock, I used chicken but you can use vegetable if you prefer
- sea salt and black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C/400 C/gas mark 6. Toss the sweet potatoes in oil, season and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until brown and crispy.
- Add your garlic and paprika and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the onions and cook gently until softened not browned. Depending on the temperature, this could be from 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in your stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and gently add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove a portion of onion and sweet potato from the pan and leave in a bowl to one side.
- Then using your blender, blend the remaining soup until smooth.
- Once blended re-add the sweet potato and onion portion to smooth soup.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Add more paprika if you fancy.
If you have a lot left over, you can freeze it.
Keep warm and enjoy!